• 17 Aug 2026 4:04pm EAT
  • News

MCK Demands Action As 18 Journalists Face Attacks In Two Months

News MCK CEO David Omwoyo. File Photo

By Andrew Mbuva 

The Media Council of Kenya (MCK) has called on the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) and the Inspector General of the National Police Service to urgently investigate and prosecute individuals behind a growing wave of attacks against journalists across the country.

The Council says at least 18 journalists and two drivers from different media houses have been assaulted and injured in the past two months, warning that the escalating attacks pose a serious threat to media freedom and Kenya’s democracy ahead of the 2027 General Election.

In a statement issued on Monday, August 17, 2026, MCK said journalists have suffered physical injuries, destruction and theft of equipment, as well as online harassment allegedly involving security agents, goons and political party supporters.

The Council expressed concern over what it termed inaction by responsible authorities, saying failure to investigate and prosecute perpetrators was creating a culture of impunity and emboldening those targeting journalists.

The latest incidents occurred on Sunday during the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay, where at least eight journalists and two drivers were attacked.

MCK said Mediamax Network journalists Francis Mwangi and Evans Okeyo were badly injured and their vehicle was burnt. Standard Group journalists Sammy Omingo and Rodgers Otiso were physically assaulted, while Associated Press journalists Fred Ooko and Brian Ongoro were attacked and their cameras destroyed.

KBC journalist Ken Odiwuor-Mayienga was reportedly beaten and his equipment stolen, while Citizen TV journalist Kevin Fraji and his driver were assaulted and their vehicle destroyed.

The Council said the Homa Bay attacks were part of a wider pattern of violence targeting media practitioners while carrying out their professional duties.

On August 12, Nation Media Group photojournalist Karim Rajan was injured near the Mombasa County Assembly while covering a gathering involving youth and human rights representatives.

On July 23, five journalists from Mt Elgon TV were also attacked while covering a political aspirant in Kimilili, with one of them seriously injured.

During the Ol Kalou by-election, MCK said at least four journalists were physically attacked and their equipment confiscated. The affected journalists included George Kieru, Brygette Ngana and Fabiola Akinyi of Nation Media Group, and Enos Teche of The Star.

The Council said it had documented the cases and submitted them to the Inspector General of Police, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) and the ODPP for investigation and prosecution.

However, MCK said little progress had been made in bringing the alleged perpetrators to account.

“The continued attacks, intimidation and crimes against journalists, and the reluctance by the relevant investigating agencies to prosecute the perpetrators is the biggest threat to the country’s democracy and media freedom,” the Council said.

MCK Director of Media Training and Development Victor Bwire urged security agencies and the public prosecutor to work closely with affected journalists and media organisations to ensure that those responsible face justice.

The Council further warned that attacks against journalists violate constitutional protections, including freedom of expression, human dignity and the freedom and security of the person.

It also cited Kenya’s international obligations, including Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which protects freedom of expression.

The Council's latest warning comes at a time of heightened political activity and growing mobilisation ahead of the 2027 General Election. MCK said ensuring the safety of journalists was essential to protecting independent journalism, access to information and the country’s democratic space.

Recent reports have similarly documented attacks on journalists during the Homa Bay political unrest, with media organisations calling for perpetrators to be held accountable.

MCK maintained that journalists must be allowed to carry out their duties without fear, intimidation or violence, and called on the relevant authorities to move swiftly to investigate the reported attacks and prosecute those found culpable.


Related Stories